HOW TO STOP DOG CHEWING PROBLEMS
Always keep in mind that your dog can't tell the difference between a $200 pair of shoe's and a worthless old rag. And your dog is not chewing to spite you, dogs don't think like us humans.
1. Give your dog lots of exercise, both physical and mental (games, obedience training).
2. Provide your dog with a few tasty dog chews like the PEGATABLES range of products, kongs and chew toys. Don't overload yourdog with dozens of toys, just a couple of good one's. A r rope bone or Kong is the perfect choice. Make it clear to your dog that if he wants to chew, it must be on his toys.
3. The best way to stop dog chewing is to catch it before it becomes a habit. This requires you to not leave your dog in a situation where he can chew something that you don't want him to. If your dog chews when you are away from home, keep your dog in a in a kennel yard, run or enclosed area where he has access to only his toys. Once your dog is old enough and can be trusted, you can give him a free run of the place.
4. If your dog has a particular liking for a certain object like a furniture leg you can try this method. Coat the object with a foul tasting substance (non toxic) such as bitter apple, cayenne pepper or tabasco sauce. This method can be effective but because it doesn't actually teach your dog to stop chewing, it may mean that your dog just chews on a different object. Of course, if you put some tasty treats in the area, the chewing behavior will hopefully shift straight over to these.
5. If you catch your dog in the act of chewing, give a firm "No!" and replace the inappropriate chewing object with a tasty chew toy. Give your dog praise when he starts chewing the toy. Never ever reprimand your dog if you don't actually catch him in the act of chewing. If you don't issue your correction within about two seconds of his chewing behaviour, he won't have a clue what you are disciplining him for.
6. A good solution to stop dog chewing and any other behavioural problem is to apply some obedience training. This establishes you as the pack leader in your owner-
In order to control your dog's annoying chewing habit all you need to do is consistently follow the above training methods. Add a touch of common sense and patience and you will be well on your way to stopping your dogs chewing problem.